I must admit that I assigned the blogging assignment without really thinking through the fact that if I want the blogs to have any value to you (the students) or us (the instructors) someone needs to read the postings.
I’ve been reading blog postings for the last hour and a half, and I’m about half way through. I’ve come up with a grading rubric, and method. I’ve also extracted some statements that I would like to re post below after quickly explaining the rubric.
The stated assignment was to make at least 1 blog posting per week so I will review the blogs periodically check the content and posting dates to assign points. As I do the reviews I will add to the score in the Blog grade column. I reserve the right to give bonus points for high quality efforts.
|Possible Points||Due Date|
Some excerpts from the blogs
- I’ll try to address this in on the web site — people have also been having difficulty figuring out were to upload finished CAM files
- You should have had a chance to work on CAM exercises. The intent is that several different activities are going on at the same time to allow us to use more of the labs resources at the same time.
- I think we need more pre-lab prep activity. I’m glad the PLA was helpful.
- This is encouraged if you feel that you are getting behind.
- If you have a comment like this please indicate what was confusing (if you can) I’ll speak with the PLAs to see if I can figure out the problem
- The instructions this term are almost identical to last term for most of the exercises.
- For comments like this please include information about which lab section you are in so I don’t have to look you up in the class list to figure out if the problem is specific to your section, or systemic.
- This is my intent. I will make sure that the PLAs are reminded.
- This is the intended function of the Watch Do Teach lists. There is supposed tobe one PLA in eash section who’s job is to maitaint he list and make srure people kow what they are supposed to do.
- This is a good point. if there is a problem that will take some time to correct something broken. We need to be able to quickly determine that the problem exists and sen people back to the computers or to some other task while it is being fixed. Alternately rather than fixing the problem the PLA could have instructed you how to fix it so you could learn something new…
- I’ll do my best to address the organization and make sure that feedback is prompt.
- This is a common problem. I’ll see if I can stick to the agenda better, and try to reduce my expectations about what I can include in a given lecture to avoid rushing at the end.
- It’s not supposed to be grimy
- Me too! I once vowed to appear more organized to my students. I quickly determined that I would actually need to become organized, and would probably never appear organized.
- I’ll revisit the Syllabus page and update a weekly reminder of the coming activities for the next week
- it gets better as you get used to it.
- Please include specifics. Don’t struggle too long before asking for help.